For safety reasons TSA (Transportation Security Administration) prepared a list with prohibited items in carry-on and checked baggage. Read the list below to speed up the screening process. Double-check prohibited items list with your airline. Remember that the final decision which item is allowed on-board or in checked baggage rests with the TSA officer. This list takes effect when departing from US airports.
Prohibited items in checked baggage in USA:
- Firearms, including:
- gun lighters,
- gun powder.
- Explosives, including:
- aerosols (excluding personal care items or toiletries in limited quantities),
- blasting caps,
- chlorine for pools and spas,
- fire extinguisher or other compressed gas cylinders,
- flammable liquid, gel or aerosol paint,
- flammable paints,
- gas torches,
- hand grenades,
- lighter fluid,
- liquid bleach,
- recreational oxygen,
- replicas of incendiaries,
- replicas or imitations of explosives,
- safety matches,
- spillable batteries (excluding those in wheelchairs),
- spray paint,
- strike-anywhere matches,
- tear gas,
- torch lighters,
- turpentine and paint thinner,
- vehicle airbags.
*Self-defence sprays: One 4 oz/118 ml container of pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage. It must be equipped with a safety mechanism (to prevent accidental discharge). Self-defence sprays containing more than 2% mass of tear gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in checked baggage.
If you pack something from above list you will have to leave it outside. If you have explosives for example obviously you are asking for trouble, so rethink what you are packing.
Have a pleasant flight!